Wednesday, May 6, 2020

A God who gives Rest


I still remember my first day at school as I held my Dad’s big fingers tight until he dropped me off at class. I had a huge lump in my throat as he bid me goodbye. I was anxious looking at all those around me crying and a completely new setting. I knew I had to smile through it all as I was reassured by my parents of being a big girl who goes to school and doesn’t cry. Thankfully I made it through!
“Psalm.25:4, Show me your ways O Lord, Teach me your paths”
During this lock down, I know all of us would have prayed to show us why this is happening and reveal His will for our lives. This reminded me of my first day in school. If Dad just showed me my school, class and teachers I would have never learned anything until and unless he let my hand off to the teacher. It’s during this lock down period I’m sure we’ve all heard the maximum number of messages. Social media and zoom meetings are filled with sermons almost similar to the times of Noah. There are many around us (Church, family, Evangelists etc.) who can show us the way to the teacher but are we allowing our teacher to direct our paths? We often want God to show us the best option (career, spouse, jobs etc.) but we need to allow him to teach us because we rely on ourselves most of the time.
From a human perspective, it’s not easy to stay calm listening to the news and death rates. Believers have become restless, anxious, worried and desperate similar to how my classmates felt on the first day of school. It’s easy to cry being fearful and anxious about leaving the comfort zone. Although I had a lump in my throat, I did not cry because of the reassurance from my parents. We have been reassured 365 times in the Bible to be fearless. However, we often forget that worrying is a sin. Our teacher’s presence is with us and He will give us rest (Exodus.33:14) Let us not be carried away by what is happening around us but instead allow our teacher to teach us knowing that His presence is with us and gives us rest. I’m sure it was difficult for all parents to see their children cry but they knew this is the best. God’s best plan is revealed through difficulties if we allow Him to teach us.
I am sure it was difficult for my Dad to leave me in spite of knowing the fact that this was the best option. It’s high time to let go off what you hold dear of this world to be taught by this teacher. It’s not easy to let your teacher rule because your flesh is weak but if your spirit is willing, our teacher is awaiting with open arms to intervene and direct our paths. Have you left your hands off from all that is dear? If it pleased our heavenly Father to let go off his only begotten Son, how much more should we let go off this world to learn from the world’s best teacher?
 My dad held my hand till he reached my class but when he saw the teacher, he gave my hand to the teacher knowing the fact that only a teacher can teach me. God let his hand off permitting His Son to bear the penalties of our sins. He has endured it all and so He understands our pain much more than that of human comprehension. In Exo.33:21- And the Lord said, Here is a place by me and you shall stand on the rock. It is our choice to take hold of that place or to be worried looking around. He will make us stand amidst the chaos. Although it might seem to be overwhelming with what is happening around us, we have a teacher who reassures us in Exodus.30:22-23 I will put you in the cleft of the rock and I will cover you with my hand. Our teacher directs our paths and takes away His hand for His glory to shine through our lives.Let’s allow ourselves to rest in Him and teach us His paths.

“Rock of Ages cleft for me, Let me hide myself in thee”

(Guest Post - Stancey Mathew)


No comments:

Post a Comment

In My Place